Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Purpose of This Blog

I want to have a place to file the recipes I've enjoyed trying, and some of my tried-and-true family favorites...some which have been passed down and some I made myself.

My Grandma had this little file box with 3x5 cards in it, and that was her "receipt" box. It was filled with handwritten recipes as well as cut-out ones from magazines, can labels, and the backs of ingredient boxes. Mostly, she used the recipes from memory and only referred to the little receipt box for certain dishes.

I don't have her receipt box, though I'd love it if it made its way to me someday. I don't even have many of her recipes, but I do have some from my other grandma, many from my former mother-in-law, and yet others from friends and time periods marked with special memories. I've found that I use the exact system my Grandma did...loosely-organized recipes crowding the little nondescript file box. Some of its contents will slowly make their way here, and here is where I'll be keeping the recipes I try from my home blog, The Back Forty.

If you have any favorites, the fun is in the sharing! I'd love to welcome you to post here about any recipe that's really special to you :) I don't use pork in any of my recipes, nor any of the animals on the "biblically unclean" list because I'm Jewish, nor any that involved cooking blood, so none will be featured here. That's about the only restriction, and with so many awesome choices out here, I never feel limited.

Feel free to share your insights and your favorites, too...as with any recipe, the fun is in the sharing!

No comments: